We welcome newbies – you do not need to be a member to join GGRC for a few runs to determine if the club is a good fit for your running needs. Feel free to join us for 3 events before you consider paying our club dues.
Wednesday @ 7pm | Kezar Stadium [map]
Join us for speed work! We meet halfway down the home stretch – or, at the East entrance of Kezar, when the track is closed. Anyone can get faster and stronger through regular speed work, whether they are a novice or a former collegiate runner. All workouts include a warm-up and cool-down. Many runners meet for dinner and a drink after the cool-down.
- Distance: Varies week-to-week based on club target races.
- Format: Combinations of 200/400/600/800/1200 meter repeats on various intervals.
Sunday @ 10am | Warming Hut (Crissy Field) [map]
There are a variety of trail and road options available at Sunday Run. You are likely to find GGRC’ers running distances ranging from 4-20 miles at paces ranging from 7-10 minute miles. The club gathers between 10:00 and 10:10 to discuss routes and pace (including matching new runners with appropriate running buddies) and leaves the Warming Hut by 10:15.
Driving directions: Follow Marina Street past the Marina and bear right onto Mason Street as you continue to Crissy Field. The Warming Hut is at the end of the road.
- Our most popular Sunday run route is called “Planks”, which is named after a section of the run that takes place in over wooden planks in the Lobos Valley park.
- Enjoy views of the Golden Gate Bridge, trails down to Barker Beach, sand climbing, and a steady climb next to the Presidio Golf Course before looping back to the Warming Hut Cafe.
- Multiple water stops and regroup points.
- We always maintain a “sweeper” so that new people do not get lost.
- Distance: 7.7 Miles (12.4 k)
- Elevation Gain: 870 ft (265 m)
Lands End Route
- Planks Route start and then an out-and-back to Sutro Heights Park.
- Recommended if you want more mileage and climbing than Planks.
- Distance: 9.7 Miles (15.6 k)
- Elevation Gain: 1,100 ft (335 m)
- Cross over the Golden Gate Bridge and into the start of the Marin Headlands.
- Distance: 8.8 Miles (14.2 k)
- Elevation Gain: 1500 ft (457 m)
- One of our longer Sunday runs takes you over the Golden Gate Bridge, into the Marin Headlands, and up to a vista spot next to the VORTAC Radar Station.
- Once you are past the Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point on the Marin Headlands side there is no water available so be sure to bring a running backpack with nutrition.
- If you want company, it is recommended that you make a post in the Google Groups as this run is not as popular as the Planks route.
- Distance: 13.4 Miles (21.6 k)
- Elevation Gain: 1,700 ft (520 m)
- One of GGRC’s more challenging loops. This run starts with the same bridge cross as the VORTAC Loop and continues down the Rodeo Valley Trail into the valley to add a descend and eventual climb.
- Water and nutrition are highly recommended as there is no aid.
- Distance: 13 Miles (21 k)
- Elevation Gain: 2,100 ft (640 m)
- Point-to-point: Flat tour of the Marina, a small hill over Fort Mason, Fisherman’s Warf, and then down the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building.
- Distance: 5 Miles (8 k)
- Elevation Gain: 115 ft (35 m)
Our Club members train year round for all types of races. We have members that run ad hoc recovery runs, hill climbing, and cycling. For the most current information on the club, join our Google Group and subscribe to get email updates.